LAS VEGAS – OJ Simpson and a Las Vegas hotel and casino have settled a lawsuit alleging anonymous employees defamed Simpson by telling a celebrity news site that he was banned from the property in November 2017 for having been drunk and disruptive.
Simpson’s attorney, Malcolm LaVergne, declined to comment on Thursday on the deal with Nevada Property 1 LLC, owner of The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas.
“The case has been resolved,” LaVergne said.
A spokeswoman for Cosmopolitan declined to comment immediately.
Lawyers for the company had argued that the former football star could not be defamed as his reputation was already tarnished by his criminal and civil trials in the deaths of his ex-wife and friend in Los Angeles ago. decades and his conviction and imprisonment in Nevada in an armed robbery case in 2007.
LaVergne had raised the specter of racial prejudice on the part of hotel officials.
Terms were not made public in the March 31 dismissal filed in Clark County District Court. He said both sides have agreed to bear their own legal costs and fees.
Simpson, now 73, is on parole in Nevada and lives in a closed golf course community after his release from jail in July 2017. He had served nine years for armed robbery, kidnapping and assault with a weapon.
His complaint against the Cosmopolitan acknowledged that Simpson had been advised, after spending several hours with two friends in a steakhouse and lounge, that he was prohibited from returning to the property. He said he was never given a reason.
Simpson denied in his lawsuit that he was “belligerent”, broke glass or damaged property.
LaVergne said at the time that his client’s reputation was tarnished by accounts cited in a TMZ report that Simpson “was drunk and became disruptive” at a resort bar.
TMZ was not a defendant in the lawsuit.
Simpson went to jail after being convicted in Las Vegas in October 2008 of leading five men, two of them armed, in an unfortunate confrontation with two collectibles dealers and a middleman in a cramped casino room -hotel off the Strip.
Simpson has always maintained that he was trying to recover personal memories that were stolen from him after his acquittal in 1995 in the murder of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and his friend Ronald Goldman in Los Angeles.
He said family photos and other items were missing before he was found liable in a civil court in February 1997 and ordered to pay $ 33.5 million to the Brown and Goldman estates.